- Aetna to buy Humana for $37 billion in largest insurance deal
(Reuters) — Health insurer Aetna Inc. said it would buy smaller rival Humana Inc. for about $37 billion in cash and stock, in the largest-ever deal in the insurance industry.
- Insurance cost for global aviation sector likely to decline in 2015: AIG official
Martin Stevens, an official at American International Group Inc., has said that insurance costs for the global airline sector is expected to fall in 2015 despite some huge claims, reports Moneycontrol.com citing the Press Trust of India.
- China floods cause nearly $6 billion in losses in first half of 2015
Heavy rains, landslides and floods in China have resulted in direct economic losses of 35.3 billion Chinese yuan ($5.7 billion) in 2015 so far, reported The Star Online citing the Economic Information Daily.
- Several banks hit by DDoS cyber attacks
Many banks in the United Arab Emirates were hit by a coordinated distributed-denial-of-service attack on June 30, ITP.net reported.
- Ferry workers' strike at France's port of Calais costs U.K. $390 million a day
The Port of Dover in the United Kingdom has said that the country is losing £250 million ($390 million) a day due to the ongoing strike by French ferry workers at the port of Calais in France, The Telegraph reports.
- Alternative reinsurance capital grows to $66 billion: Aon Benfield
Aon Benfield has said in its latest reinsurance market outlook that alternative reinsurance capital increased over 3% to $66 billion in the first quarter of 2015, Artemis.bm reports.
- Hannover Re changes portfolio mix to be underweight catastrophe business: RBC analysts
Analysts at Canada-based RBC Capital Markets said that Hannover Re S.E. has changed its portfolio mix to be underweight catastrophe business as it finds property catastrophe reinsurance profits to be marginal, reported Artemis.bm.
- Enquiries for contaminated products insurance up in India
Both big and small firms in India are now interested in contaminated products insurance cover following the recent Nestle S.A.’s Maggi noodles controversy in the country, mydigitalfc.com reported.
- Volcanic eruption in Indonesia prompts Jetstar to cancel flights
An eruption of Mount Ruang volcano situated 150 km away from Indonesia’s Denpasar city prompted Australian airline Jetstar Airways Pty. Ltd. to cancel its flights to and from Indonesia, Xinhua reported.