- Bermuda registers 45 new insurers in first half of 2015
Forty-five new insurers and intermediaries were registered in Bermuda during the first half of 2015, nearly on par with the 44 new registrations last year, the Bermuda Monetary Authority said.
- EEOC sues UPS for religious bias against bearded men
(Reuters) — The EEOC has sued UPS, accusing the world’s largest package delivery company of discriminating against male workers and job applicants who wore beards or long hair because of their religion.
- Oil rig contractor to pay $20 million to settle post-Katrina labor suits
(Reuters) — Signal International will pay $20 million to settle lawsuits alleging fraud and labor trafficking by the Alabama oil rig repair company, which brought hundreds of Indian men to work on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina, attorneys…
- Former CMS head to lead health insurance lobby
Marilyn Tavenner, the former head of the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, will become the new president and CEO of America’s Health Insurance Plans, the Washington-based industry group announced Wednesday.
- Retiree health funding bill introduced
Legislation introduced in the House of Representatives Monday by the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee would extend by four years a federal law that allows employers to remove surplus assets from overfunded pension plans to pay for retiree…
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car settles EEOC age discrimination case
Enterprise Rent-A-Car Co. of Los Angeles L.L.C., which was charged with failing to hire management trainees who were over 40, has agreed to pay $425,000 to settle an age discrimination suit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Merger-related insurance coverages grow
The number of representation and warranty insurance policies issued more than doubled to 700 in 2014 as policyholders sought more protection for exposures related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Cyber leads risks for insurers in North America, Bermuda
Cyber risk is the top risk faced by insurers in North America and Bermuda, according to a survey released Wednesday by London-based think tank Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation.
- Purina howls 'nonsense' over dog treat bacon content lawsuit
A New York dog owner is hounding Nestle Purina Petcare Co. over the bacon content in its Beggin’ line of dog treats.