- Justice Department makes second request on Aetna/Humana merger
The U.S. Justice Department has asked rival health insurers Aetna Inc. and Humana Inc. for more information regarding the companies’ proposed $37 billion merger.
- Near universal health coverage reported in several Massachusetts counties
Massachusetts, which has the lowest uninsured rate of any state, also has several counties with near universal health insurance coverage rates, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Quality assurance group nixes health plan rankings in favor of ratings
The National Committee for Quality Assurance has scrapped its old ranking system for health plans and instituted a new ratings system that’s similar to what the U.S.
- Longer lives, falling rates put pressure on hospital pension plans
Health care systems face broader unfunded pension liabilities as they make long-overdue updates to their assumptions for retiree longevity and raise the level of assets they will need to account for a falling discount rate.
- States' pension funding ratio drops in 2014
State pension plans’ aggregate funded status declined 50 basis points in fiscal year 2014 to 72.6%, said the 13th annual public pension funding review by Loop Capital Markets.